For many people there is still a hidden answer as to why they should use proxy servers. The answer is obvious – using this technique, you can:
- to remain anonymous on the web;
- visit sites and nodes on the Network that are not accessible under your ip address;
- Increase the number of requests to the node, create multiple accounts or perform other operations, which are provided only for users with different ip addresses;
- Using a proxy server can help speed up access to the node and optimize ping.
How to configure a proxy server on a computer to be anonymous
If you want to stay anonymous, you should first decide what program you want to use for your activities. If you plan to access certain sites, you can use the proxy settings for browsers without having to install third-party software or perform other manipulations with the configuration and parameters of the Network on your PC.
Let’s consider options for several popular browsers.
Using a proxy in a Firefox browser
Let’s use the step-by-step instruction to perform the proxy server configuration in this browser and start with the preparatory actions:
- you should get your primary ip To do this, we will visit the site to measure speed (for example, it may be 2ip). We will definitely write down our current address;
- open the logbook in your browser and delete everything you have (early login history, filling forms, cookies, etc.). This should be done in order to maintain your anonymity: without the accidental use of your previously saved data (for example, your data will be automatically entered into the registration form and you will confirm it by accident);
- Now we’re ready to do the proxy
You can change proxy server settings by going to “Settings”. There you will find the item “Configure” next to the line “Proxy server”. Next, we use manual configuration. Here we enter the ip address and port, it is necessary to tick the box “Use this proxy server for all protocols”. Further we specify type of a server and if necessary it is possible to establish DNS.
Quotation: If you don’t know what DNS is, it’s better not to change anything in the line with its value, otherwise the connection may not work.
Next, you need to save the changes you have made.
Now firefox is configured to use a proxy server and we can test it to see if it works. To do this, we can go to the 2ip site (with the help of which we checked our primary, original ip address) and there we can check our address for a proxy server (it must be different from the primary one). Be sure to check the quality of network access, speed and ping. If result will not meet expectations – it is necessary to change the chosen proxy and to reconfigure a browser already on it.
Important: In order to find a good server, you have to go through a lot of free servers before you can find the best one.
How to change the proxy in the Chrome
If you’re using Google Chrome, you can set it up in the same way as you would with Firefox. To do this, you need to go to the browser settings (open the menu by pressing the key in the upper right corner (three horizontal bars are drawn)). Next, select “Settings”. In the opened window you should open additional settings. Here you will find the key “Change proxy server settings”.
Now we need to configure and run through a proxy browser. The configuration windows of the operating system itself should open. We go to the “Connections” tab and do the configuration here. Be sure to specify the parameters of the proxy based on its type. It is recommended to use Socks 5 proxy. It’s the one that provides maximum anonymity. Next, enter the proxy server values for Http, Https, Ftp.
Quotation: For Socks settings, you do not need to change the values, it is worth leaving the existing ones.
In case if proxy server authorization is required, we wait for the appearance of the authorization window and enter our data there. This should be done immediately by ticking the next automatic entry without having to confirm each time. Otherwise, if you try to login to any site, an authorization window will appear, requiring data entry.
It should be noted that ordinary browsers do not support authorization under Socks. Therefore, you should install additional programs – proxifiers. An example of this is the Proxifier.
Another nuance that almost all actual proxy servers suffer from. In the case of simultaneous use of a proxy and VPN traffic will first go to the server, only then to the VPN. It’s gonna have a negative impact on speed. Therefore, it is necessary to change the sequence: make the traffic flow chain – first VPN and then proxy.
Is it possible and how to change the proxy in the Yandex
In case you use a Yandex browser, the proxy settings for it will be done as follows:
- open the browser menu (the same location as in Chrome);
- to go into the settings;
- go to additional options and click on the “Change proxy server settings” button in the “Network” item.
The “Operating system network settings” window opens. Here we are doing the same steps as described above.
How to change the proxy in the Opera
If you are an Opera browser user, you will need to set up a proxy server:
- open the main menu (located at the top left), go to “Settings”;
- in the window that opens, go to Security and clear history, cookies, etc. (to maintain anonymity);
- in the settings, we have to go to “Browser” and “Network” – here we change the proxy server settings.
As with other browsers, we are redirected to the network configuration window of the operating system. Here we set all the required values and save them.
Other options for configuring browsers, or proxy extensions
Another way to configure it is to install special extensions on the browser, which already perform the functions of proxy servers we need. One of the advantages of this method is that
- Convenience and ease of installation;
- the ability to enable and disable proxy mode;
- the ease of changing the proxy extension in case it doesn’t suit us.
Often extensions already have all the necessary settings. Or you don’t need to look for them for a long time, as in the case of browsers. We can instantly activate the proxy mode and get started. Just as quickly we can switch to the mode of working with our usual ip address.
The best proxy extensions can be seen, for example, in the Google store.
Quotation: Good proxy extensions can be found by rating (the more positive reviews, the higher the guarantees of their efficiency and effectiveness).
Whatever the method, browser or method is used when working through a proxy, it is worth recommending to check the performance of the Network. Only the check will allow you to detect a weak server or one that has problems and move to another in time. To check, we use the same sites to check the speed of the Network, on the basis of measurements we draw conclusions about the selected servers.